Maintaining your garage door should always be a priority but is especially important in the fall so that your door is ready for the winter season ahead. Winterizing your garage door can help save energy and prevent loss of functionality due to cold temperatures. Some maintenance tasks you should perform this fall include:
- Inspect your garage door and its tracks – Perform a visual check of your garage door and its tracks. Watch your garage door while it operates to make sure that it is operating smoothly. If you hear any unusual sounds or see any unusual movement, it may be a good idea to call in a professional service company such as Twin City Garage Door to fix the problem before winter.
- Lubricate moving parts – Apply a silicone based spray lubricant to the moving parts such as springs, hinges, and rollers, on your garage door. Doing so will protect moving parts and help to ensure smooth door operation.
- Check the seal – It is important to check for any damage to the seal of your garage door. When your door does not seal properly, it allows heat to escape from your garage. To check your seal, go outside in the dark while keeping the lights on in your garage. If you see any cracks of light coming through the seal, it may be damaged.
- Replace old weatherstripping – Upgrading the weatherstripping on your garage door can help prevent cold air from entering the garage.
- Inspect opener and sensors – It is a good idea to inspect your garage door opener and sensors before winter. Make sure that there is nothing blocking the sensors. Watch as you open and close your garage door. If the door pauses as it opens or closes, you could have a problem with the sensors. Also keep in mind that snow buildup during the winter can prevent your sensors from functioning so be sure to always clear snow and ice away as best as you can.
- Test door balance – An unbalanced garage door will not function properly and may have a shortened lifespan. To check the balance of your door, manually run it up and down the tracks to make sure there is no obstructions. Then lift your garage door up halfway and let go. If the door remains in place, it is balanced. If it falls quickly, it may be unbalanced. It is best to call a professional to help rebalance your garage door.
Winterize Your Garage Door with Help from TCGD
If your garage door needs maintenance, service or repair, the Twin City Garage Door team can help get your door fully functional before the cold winter months arrive. We offer many services performed by our highly trained service technicians including:
- 24-hour emergency service
- Commercial periodic maintenance program
- Replacement of torsion and extension springs
- Cable replacement
- Individual section replacement
- Repair of weather-stripping and perimeter seals
We serve customers across the Twin Cities as well as in St. Cloud, Northern Minnesota, Chippewa Falls, WI and West Fargo, ND. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment.